How We Can Help
As General Counsel to the 8,000-plus member New York City Uniformed Firefighters Association, we are fully aware of how these true heroes of our society place themselves in harm’s way to protect the lives and property of our citizens. Over the years Sullivan Papain Block McGrath & Cannavo P.C. has recovered over $1 Billion dollars for firefighters injured, and for families of firefighters who have died, in the line of duty. In many of these cases the lives of firefighters were unnecessarily placed in harm’s way because of poorly designed or maintained buildings or as a result of defective or inadequate firefighting equipment or otherwise through the wrongdoing of others.
SPBMC is the leading expert in advocating for firefighters injured on the job. We are decades of experience in successfully advocating for firefighters and their rights, including those provided under Section 205-a of the General Municipal Law of the State of New York. This law gives injured firefighters the right to sue those who have caused them injured due to their violation of a particular statute, code, ordinance, rule or regulation. The firm has also successfully represented firefighters injured on the job due to defective or inadequate fire equipment.
No firm is better equipped to handle these cases. Among the many high profile cases that the firm has successfully handled for firefighters and their families are the following:
- Waldbaum’s Fire of August 2, 1978
- 1993 World Trade Center Terrorist Bombing of February 26, 1993
- Father’s Day Fire of June 17, 2001
- 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund of 2003 – 2004
- 9/11 World Trade Center Disaster Site Litigation, United States District Court
- Black Sunday Bronx Fire of January 23, 2005
- Black Sunday Brooklyn Fire of January 23, 2005
- Deutsche Bank Fire of August 18, 2007
- Reopened 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund of 2011 – Present